How you believe, think and feel about things has a huge impact on whether you actually achieve them or not. Just because you’re a busy mum with a busy family doesn’t mean that you have to be stuck in life with no ambitions or dreams. This post will show you how to change your mindset and achieve anything you want.
Disclaimer before we start
I know many of you reading this just won’t be ready, able or receptive to making radical and big changes in your life. You might be tied down with a baby or young kids, juggling family and work and even just trying to keep your head above water, day to day. The thought of ambitions and dreams seems way off and like pigs might fly.
All I ask you to do as you read this, is keep your mind open.
Our lives come in seasons and one stage moves in to another. Maybe you’ve got too much on right now, but the future will be different.
How do you get what you want?
Take a moment to think about the things you’ve achieved in life. How did they actually come about?
Sometimes we do just happen to land on our feet and be in the right place at the right time or the opportunity just comes knocking at our door.
But, I’m not talking about those lucky times.
Instead I’m talking about those times when:
- We think we want something, but it never really works out and we feel like a failure or that it just wasn’t meant to be. Or,
- We’ve worked really hard for something and we’ve really wanted it. And it’s happened…
The difference between achieving what you want and failing, doesn’t just come down to whether you’ve made a To Do list, or set yourself goals, or planned your time well, or saved up money. Often, it’s much simpler and more fundamental than that. It all comes down to mindset.
What is mindset?
Mindset is a set of beliefs which you hold that determines your attitude, reactions and behaviour to a given set of circumstances.
Putting it simply, how you think about things determines how you act on them.
A negative mindset
A negative mindset will:
- Hold you back
- Say you can’t do something
- Take things at face value without asking yourself why, what if, how?
- Put blame on others as a reason for not doing something
- It hasn’t worked in the past, so it won’t work now
- That’s just the way it is, I can’t change things
- Make you give up before you’ve even started
A positive mindset
A positive mindset will:
- Open your eyes and your mind to new opportunities
- Make you receptive to trying new things
- Encourage you to ask questions, learn more
- Not take things at face value
- Participate in life, rather than just be a by-stander
- Work out what you want and help you get it, rather than letting your life pass by
- Enable you to achieve whatever it is you want
How mindsets develop
Mindsets often arise from our circumstances, the way we were brought up as a child, how we have been conditioned to think over time as life buffers us to and fro and throws different challenges and opportunities at us.
You want to be one of those people that sees problems as opportunities. When a situation arises, you can turn it into something positive and that you can be actively involved with, rather than hiding in the corner and letting it pass by.
How your mindset leads you to action
There’s lots of research which you can find on the internet about growth mindsets, fixed mindsets, limiting beliefs and so on.
But the basic idea is that if you believe and think that you can make changes (to your thoughts, your attitudes, your actions and so on) then you usually can.
Which areas of your life do you want to achieve more in?
- Do you want to lose weight and get fit but don’t have any motivation?
- Do you want to get back into work after having babies but don’t know how you’ll manage to juggle everything?
- Do you want to get more training at work but can’t find the time?
- Do you want to learn a new hobby but feel it’s selfish to spend the time on yourself?
- Do you want to find more time to spend with your kids but you’re already so busy?
- Do you want to declutter your home but just don’t know where to start because there’s so much stuff?
- Do you want to feel better about yourself but wonder what the point would be when you spend your days at home with a toddler and buried under toys and dirty laundry?
Finding the right mindset
If any of these sound familiar to you then you’re not alone! But can you see how important it is to think about things in the right way, with the right mindset?
The examples above are based on desires and ambitions that many mums have. They want more time, less stress, more freedom, a better life for their families and to feel good about themselves.
But unfortunately, many mums focus on the negatives and the reasons why they can’t or won’t be able to do the things they want to. They don’t have enough time, energy, or freedom or they feel selfish or not worthy.
Change your mindset to focus on why you CAN and SHOULD do something, instead of why you CAN’T and SHOULDN’T and you’ll be able to achieve anything you want.
Grab your FREE copy of my Shift Your Mindset Toolkit
If you want to know HOW you can shift your mindset and achieve anything you want, then grab your free copy of my Shift Your Mindset toolkit.
It will help you think about your mindset now, how it’s holding you back and most importantly, how you can shift it to achieve anything you want!
Shift Your Mindset Toolkit
Grab your free 5+ page toolkit to help you work out patterns in your thinking and how by changing your thoughts and mindset you can achieve anything you put your mind to. What do you want to achieve?
Want to dig deeper?
Here are a few other posts I’ve written which might get you thinking:
- How to set goals and keep them
- Change your thoughts to change your feelings
- Why Mums shouldn’t feel selfish for looking after themselves
- 5 essential daily self care practices for Mums